Jake Anderson wrote:
>This is the first time building redhat guest on zVM. I don't have
>a web server or Apache to place the redhat executables. Is there
>a other method to follow and build Redhat golden image ?

If you have access to the Hardware Management Console (HMC), you can create
removable media with all the Red Hat files you need then retrieve them from
there during installation as a guest under z/VM. That process is explained
pretty well here:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSB27U_7.1.0/com.ibm.zvm.v710.hcpl0/ftploc.htm

This path uses the z/VM FTP server. It can be used not just for the initial
boot but also for the Anaconda-based installation if need be. Some patience
may be required depending on your HMC model, media type, and z/VM guest
resources.

I've never tried it, but theoretically, speculatively, the Anaconda-based
installation could run via NFS (Network File System). z/VM has a NFS
server, or perhaps you have some NAS (Network Attached Storage) that's
reachable within the boundaries of your environment.

If you have another operating system on the machine, notably z/OS, with a
FTP, HTTP, and/or NFS server available and reachable, you can load the
necessary Red Hat files there then install from that network source.

Presumably you're using a PC or Mac as your user access vehicle to instruct
z/VM, and presumably there's a network connection to z/VM. Could you run a
lightweight FTP, HTTP, and/or NFS server on that PC or Mac? It sure seems
like that'd be technically possible, at least. Or maybe you're not, and
maybe you're using the HMC directly. If so, see above.

I recommend consulting IBM's "Getting Started with with Linux on IBM Z"
document, IBM Publication No. SC24-6287. Here's the current direct link
(subject to change):

https://www.vm.ibm.com/library/710pdfs/71628700.pdf

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM Z & LinuxONE

E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390