My understanding of the cards is that they're more of a trust anchor
than an accelerator. What I mean is ... differentiate symmetric crypto
from asymmetric crypto. Symmetric crypto (think AES) is handled by the
main processor, right? (This is where Brian or Alan will chime in, and
please do.) So why shuttle the work to a co-processor? Symmetric crypto
is faster (much!) than asymmetric.

Who uses AES as a master key? The concept of "master" should be
asymmetric, not symmetric. Symmetric keys are the kind you create for a
session and then discard. But ... this is pervasive ... okay ... keys
... and store them. Where? On the card? Okay, but still, doesn't mean
the *processing* of symmetric gets done there.

Last I knew (haven't read the PoOp for z15), the CPU didn't have
asymmetric instructions (think RSA). Asymmetric crypto is slower (much!)
than symmetric, so one could conceivably shuttle that work to a daughter
card and get a win (or at least parity!).

But there's another point: "trust" is all about asymmetric keys, where
you have a PUBLIC half and a PRIVATE half to the pair. So the card can
hold the private half (and prove itself against the public half, like
for an SSL cert) or can hold the public half (and serve to confirm a
third party, like a remote web site SSL cert).

Not sure I'm splainin it well. Solly.

But this could be old news. IBMers? What's new?

-- R; <><

--
-- R; <><

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390