From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Rick Troth
Sent: Friday, January 10, 2020 8:52 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Pervasive disk encryption questions

CAUTION: This email originated from outside the organization. Do not click
links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content
is safe.

My understanding of the cards is that they're more of a trust anchor than an
accelerator. What I mean is ... differentiate symmetric crypto from asymmetric
crypto. Symmetric crypto (think AES) is handled by the main processor, right?
(This is where Brian or Alan will chime in, and please do.) So why shuttle the
work to a co-processor? Symmetric crypto is faster (much!) than asymmetric.

Who uses AES as a master key? The concept of "master" should be asymmetric, not
symmetric. Symmetric keys are the kind you create for a session and then
discard. But ... this is pervasive ... okay ... keys ... and store them. Where?
On the card? Okay, but still, doesn't mean the *processing* of symmetric gets
done there.

Last I knew (haven't read the PoOp for z15), the CPU didn't have asymmetric
instructions (think RSA). Asymmetric crypto is slower (much!) than symmetric,
so one could conceivably shuttle that work to a daughter card and get a win (or
at least parity!).

But there's another point: "trust" is all about asymmetric keys, where you have
a PUBLIC half and a PRIVATE half to the pair. So the card can hold the private
half (and prove itself against the public half, like for an SSL cert) or can
hold the public half (and serve to confirm a third party, like a remote web
site SSL cert).

Not sure I'm splainin it well. Solly.

But this could be old news. IBMers? What's new?

-- R; <><

--
-- R; <><

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
https://nam05.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.marist.edu%2Fhtbin%2Fwlvindex%3FLINUX-390&amp;data=02%7C01%7Cpwoude%40HARRISTEETER.COM%7C1346250474f843a2aceb08d796398ae7%7C95fcefa54abb413594fc717122fd83d5%7C0%7C0%7C637143046209518057&amp;sdata=YWO7eRzQPGxXKYWn7u%2BJrl35XCQtMhpbyyg4wgrBykQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and all attachments may contain
legally privileged and confidential information intended solely for the use of
the addressee. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, any
reading, dissemination, distribution, copying, or other use of this message or
its attachments is prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone at 704.844.3100 and

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390