Yes, we had this in two forms.   Both fixed by the dracut fix (and rerunning
it)

        Subject: SR101238520451 Re dracut timeout problems after patching

        Marcy,
                We released this fix in maint (dracut-044.2-10.15.2.s390x).
The other issue related to this:

                SR101237346921 Re: SLES Sp4 problem with lvm and device names

-----Original Message-----
From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Will, Chris
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2020 9:12 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: [LINUX-390] BCACHE errors on lvextend, on reboot goes to dracut
emergency mode

This has now happened on two SLES 12 SP4 that have had any of the LVM root file
system (/var /tmp, etc) expanded (lvextend).  Here is the error message.
sles12osdev2:~ # lvextend -L +2G /dev/mapper/system--vg-opt--lv
scan_dev_close /dev/dasda2 no DEV_IN_BCACHE set
scan_dev_close /dev/dasdc1 no DEV_IN_BCACHE set
Size of logical volume system-vg/opt-lv changed from 4.00 GiB (1024 extents) to
6.00 GiB (1536 extents).
Logical volume system-vg/opt-lv successfully resized.
close /dev/dasdc1 errno 9
sles12osdev2:~ # xfs_growfs /opt
meta-data=/dev/mapper/system--vg-opt--lv isize=512 agcount=4, agsize=262144 blks
= sectsz=4096 attr=2, projid32bit=1
= crc=1 finobt=0 spinodes=0 rmapbt=0
= reflink=0
data = bsize=4096 blocks=1048576, imaxpct=25
= sunit=0 swidth=0 blks
naming =version 2 bsize=4096 ascii-ci=0 ftype=1
log =internal bsize=4096 blocks=2560, version=2
= sectsz=4096 sunit=1 blks, lazy-count=1
realtime =none extsz=4096 blocks=0, rtextents=0
data blocks changed from 1048576 to 1572864ere are the error messages

In this case I was able to get into the Dracut emergency console, I was able to
chroot and it seemed to fix whatever was wrong by running a lvscan.

I exited the Dracut shell and it went to a disabled wait. Brought it up in
emergency mode, set up chroot and got the following. The lvscan seemed to
repair the system-vg metadata. Now the system will boot.

nbxdv0392:/ # mount -a
Failed to connect to bus: No such file or directory
mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.

nbxdv0392:/ # pvs
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Not repairing metadata for VG system-vg.
Recovery of volume group "system-vg" failed.
Cannot process volume group system-vg
nbxdv0392:/ # lvscan <<this fixed it
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
WARNING: Inconsistent metadata found for VG system-vg - updating to use version
8 n 8
ACTIVE '/dev/system-vg/home-lv' [4.00 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/system-vg/opt-lv' [4.00 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/system-vg/tmp-lv' [6.00 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/system-vg/usr-lv' [4.00 GiB] inherit
ACTIVE '/dev/system-vg/var-lv' [4.00 GiB] inherit
nbxdv0392:/ # vgscan
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
Found volume group "system-vg" using metadata type lvm2
nbxdv0392:/ # pvs
WARNING: Failed to connect to lvmetad. Falling back to device scanning.
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/dasda2 system-vg lvm2 a-- 18.49g 504.00m
/dev/dasdb1 system-vg lvm2 a-- 22.49g 18.49g

Has anyone run into something like this?  I would like to fix this proactively
and not wait until the server dies and I have to go into emergency mode.  This
could be an issue with all our servers.

Chris

The information contained in this communication is highly confidential and is
intended solely for the use of the individual(s) to whom this communication is
directed. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information is
prohibited. Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any
unintended receipt and delete the original message without making any copies.

 Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan and Blue Care Network of Michigan are
nonprofit corporations and independent licensees of the Blue Cross and Blue
Shield Association.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390