Yes! I spent a fair amount of time writing EXECs to figure these things out
when I worked for Bank of America. I put the results on a web page that listed
all our VM systems. I’m retired so I don’t need it any more.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2020, at 11:59 AM, Mark Post <mp...@suse.com> wrote:

On 7/17/20 12:18 PM, Marcy Cortes wrote:
> Late to the game, but I would probably make a .service file that did
> something like
>
> ExecStart= echo $(/sbin/vmcp q userid | awk '{print $3}') > /etc/vmsysname
>
> and then anything could look at the file.
>
> An LGR'd guest would be wrong, but I don't think you use that.

Would people find it helpful if a command is introduced to the
s390-tools package that will return one or more of the following data
points:
1. z/VM or KVM Guest name
2. z/VM Host name
3. KVM Host name