I am hearing strong rumors that IBM is about to commit the type of corporate
facepalm that is the stuff for future textbooks. Apparently Redbooks are no
longer going to be a thing and the organization disbanded. If there’s one thing
that has differentiated IBM in the mainframe space has been the quality of its
documentation and, in particular, the type of HOW-TO information contained
within Redbooks and Redpieces. These documents turn a “that’d be nice to do”
into a proof-of-concept and finally into production. In doing so, they must be
responsible for millions or billions of dollar in revenue to IBM.

Many of the topics of Redbooks cover are complex and even intimidating. They
provide a step-by-step approach to learning and implementing using a group of
people actually doing what they’re writing about. This is invaluable.

I hope these rumors are untrue but if not I think we should all be shouting
from the roof until someone with some sense realizes how shortsighted this
decision is.

Neale

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390