Alistair Riddoch writes:

> I can be found in the dev86 package in linux-86/bootblocks.
>
> Go into that directory and type make ; make bin.
>
> You will then have 3 files minix.bin, minixhd.bin and minix_elks.bin.
>
> minix.bin is the floppy booloader which can be installed using dd in the
> bootsector of a floppy disk, minixhd.c is the same but is installed
> on a harddisk partiton (not the Master Boot Record).
>
> In order for either of these to work you must create a directory on the
> root filesystem called boot, and copy two files into it. The first is your
> kernel which should be called linux, and the second is a copy of
> minix_elks.bin which should be renamed to boot.
>
> The system will then be stand-alone and will not require any kind of
> external bootloader.
>
> Does anyone know of a simple menu based bootloader than can be installed
> in the MBR that will simply boot a number of other partitions as if they
> contained MSDOS? LILO would do the job, but is overcomplicated and I don't
> know how well it works on <386 machines.

I have just discoverd that the bootblocks directory contains an mbr.bin
which can be copied into the mbr of a harddisk, and will boot a bootable
partiton directly. I have used this to get a completely stand alone
harddisk elks system which takes about 4 seconds to boot!

Unofortunatly it suffers from disk corruption due to fairly frequently
being rebooted without shutting it down. Need to get fsck working better.

Al