: > > 1). Reduced character size to 8x8 to increase screen size and save
: > memory
: > > (the font is held in Data segment)
: >
: > Can you not find the Psion font in rom ? Also you could push the font into
: > its own segment and 'borrow' ES momentarily with a cli around a single
: > char
: > render.
: [<Simon Wood>]
: I haven't looked and have no idea where and what format it might be. I'm
: under the opinion that we should work completely separated from Psion ROM,
: that way the code written could be ported to other systems (which might not
: have similar steal-able features from ROM).
: Yes it could be placed in a separate segment - I need to check how this
: might be loaded from a Psion '.img' format executable as that's how the
: system is 'booted' at present
:
        Microwindows and nano-X running under ELKS use the rom for all
character set data.  It's format is one byte or word per scan line times the number
of scan lines per character.  There's a call in the scr_bios driver that gets
the rom font data in es:bx.

        I disagree that you shouldn't use the rom.  You'll usually save a heck
of alot of space and find that you're probably using the rom anyway.  (Of course,
if you've got the time, there's nothing wrong with having a separate version
that doesn't use rom)

: > > 1). The current version of Init (in elkscmd) seems to need /var/utcp to
: > be
: > > exist, what does this do and should this file be writable (which won't
: > be
: > > possible with a read only file system!)?
: >
: > Eventually you are going to need a ram disk.
: [<Simon Wood>]
: Why ???
: I agree that in a 'PC' type environment you will need disk storage, but
: there are many applications for ELKS that will not...
:
: In this specific case 'init' would need to create a RAM disk for /var before
: it continued booting - seems a suspect way of doing it to me.

        I suggest you modify init so that it'll run without /var/utmp, but
write an error message...

:
: > > 2). PS requires '/proc', but I can't see any code where this 'created'.
: >
: > The mainstream Linux has a /proc we don't. The intention is to make /proc
: > dig around in /dev/kmem
: [<Simon Wood>]
: So why is this PS in elkscmd if it can't possible work??

        ps definitely works, I enhanced it for command argument display...

Greg