  Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT (C Lund)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles,alt.fan.jackie-tokeman
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:04:33 -0400

Jason Bowen wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > Jason Bowen wrote:

> > > You can provide proof of your claims to if you like.  I'll grab the
> > > carbon cycle numbers that you can look up too.
> >
> > That's all meaningless.  The Eco-wacko theories that you espouse
> > are based on cooked data.  This was demonstrated years ago.
> >
> > Now...once again, you ignorant, pseudo-intellectual shit-for-brains....
> >
> >                         SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP
>
> Too bad you can't take Abe's words to heart.  Provide proof.  Frankly
> your schtick gets old.

So is your "The Sky is Falling" message of gloom and doom, now

                         SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:16:32 +0100

> > > Obviously you can't respond with anything so you try to demean me.  It
> > > doesn't work as the words of an obvious asshole don't mean shit.  If
you
> > > can reply to each point go right ahead.
> >
> > Aaron and I cannot demean you. Your own worthless lies, weasel attempts
> > deny what you wrote, etc. have already demeaned you. You have ZERO
> > credibility.
>
> I've provided sources for some of my claims, what have you done?

"USB, idiot, stands for Universal Serial Bus. There is no power on the
output socket of any USB port I have ever seen" - Bob Germer

--
Cheers,

Sam

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why my company will NOT use Linux
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:22:34 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 03:19:55 GMT, Quantum Leaper <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >Machine))

> >"gee,
> >1990

> >9600

> >about
> >>
> >> No longer than it takes to download the same thing over a DS3
> >> if any part of the net between you and the files is not up to
> >> your speed expectations.
> >>
> >Very rarely to I have download speed problems since I have moved to a
Cable
> >modem.
>
> Depending on the time of day and the state of the network, I can
> see anywhere between 5K and 60K bytes per second on my downloads.
> Quite a bit depends on the download site itself. If it can't feed
> it too you, it doesn't really matter how fast you can recieve it.

I would call 5K good,  since I use to get may 3K at the best and sometimes
under .5 when I was connected at 28.8K.   Your right though,  it does depend
on the server.   I just got a 2K download from a server in Canada.  (hadn't
had this speed in along time)   I get around 50K average from most of the
USA,  and sometime over 100K when connected to supernews.

> Some sites won't be any faster on a DS3 than they would be on a
> cablemodem (most infact) and some won't be any faster going from
> serial modem to cable modem.
>
> Distro mirrors actually seem to be the most sluggish of the lot.

Most mirrors have alot of users on at all times,  it doesn't seem to matter
if it a Linux or MS or whatever,  they always seem to be slow.

> >my
> >download
> >>
> >> So? That's more of a scheduling and contention issue with a
> >> potentially scarce resource. The actual download is still
> >> a matter of checking on it every so often and mebbe restarting
> >> it.
> >>
> >Like I said I like to USE my computer,  if I was going to download Linux
>
> What is this? 1983? There's nothing keeping you from "USING" your
> computer when you're downloading.

I play alot of games,  like Quake 3,  Diablo 2 and others.   Try play Quake
3 when downloading a large file,  the turkeys with the low pings will frag
you,  when you should be about equal but your downloading also.   I tried it
once,  never again will I download a file and play a game....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: Re: filename extensions are NOT a kludge
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:23:12 -0000

Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:
>If one ignores all the current file naming conventions, there are
>two problems at need to be solved:
>
>1) The system needs to know what programs can act upon a given file.
>
>2) The user would like to organize his files in a logical way.
>
>My assertion is that adding extensions to the names of files is
>not the best solution to either problem, though it is the simplest
>and will likely remain in use for some time.
>
>In the case of the first problem - what a file actually contains -
>the system has little need for an extra tag to tell it what it can
>already figure out quite easily.  By simply examining the actual
>file contents it can tell what sort of file it is and what can
>open it.  That makes the tag redundant and obsolete for file typing.
>
>In the case of the second problem - keeping our files organized -
>a mere tag doesn't go as far as it could.  For example, if I have
>a bunch of vacation pictures I'm not really interested as to
>whether they're saved as PNGs or JPEGs; I just want to be able
>to sort out my files by "vacation" and "picture" and get the
>list of them.  The conventional method is to stick them in
>directories.  But if I also have movies, do I use:
>
>.../vacation/pictures/...
>.../vacation/movies/...
>
>or:
>
>.../pictures/vacation/...
>.../movies/vacation/...
>
>or do I append -photo and -movie tags to the ends of my files
>and stow them in a single directory?
>
>What I'd like is some many-to-many metadata on my files to
>sort them better and make organizing them easier.  A list
>of the files and tags might look like:
>
>beach1         [JPEG] picture,vacation
>sunset1                [PNG] picture,vacation
>party1         [MPEG] movie,vacation
>
>So that with the metadata in place, I might only have to:
>
>% tar cvfz #vacation# | uuencode | mail
>
>in order to send them out.
>
>Anyway, the point of all this is that there are better ways
>to store file information than merely appending letters
>to the ends of them.  We should look for better solutions
>to these sorts of problems.  But in truth, I doubt we'll see
>the file extensions vanishing anytime soon.

Again (not to sound like a BeOS zealot, this just happens
to be one thing it does right) this is almost exactly what
BeOS does.  The file-typing is stored in the filesystem
metadata.  The filesystem itself is a sort of database
system with all sorts of available metadata tables
available.  One area of this is used to store 'filetype'
information.

In this way, one set of files is actually emails stored in
metadata (the files are just named by number, and the
metadata is fields like 'from', 'to', 'date' and the final
and largest metadata field is the text of the email
itself).  People files (like a rolodex in the filesystem)
work in the same way (with a 'first name' and a 'last
name' field and other applicable fields).  And any program
that can read that type of file is available from the
pop-up menus when you go to open it (of course, in command
line you can just type in 'program' 'filename' just like
usual).

I really do feel that BeOS did some incredibly beautiful
things with their filesystem and the access they have
built into it.  There is incredible power and flexibility
built into it.  I almost wish there was something
equivalent to it available for Linux or other free/open
unices.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:30:13 -0000

Sam Morris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> spoke thusly:

>> > You don't have an answer for that, do you?
>>
>> There is no correlation between gun ownership and murder rates.
>
>That original quote again, folks:
>
>"Except of course that the issue is correlation between gun ownership and
>gun-related deaths."
>
>Spot the difference?
>
>BTW - how many usenet posts would you say you make every week, Aaron?

Hehe, I can't resist this one.

Aaron's Usenet Posts Breakdown:

Total posts per week                    4,000 (slight exageration, maybe)
Posts that piss people off because of the insipid and
idiotic ego-centric sig                 3,999
Posts with stupid off-topic rants       3,000
Posts with stupid on-topic rants        999
Posts where the rant obscures any useful information in
the post                                3,997
Posts with discernable and useful information that can
actually be found                       3
Posts where useful info is obscured by useless retoric
threats                                 2
Posts of useful on-topic nature         1

OK, maybe I got a little carried away with some of the
numbers, but you get the idea.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason Bowen)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles,alt.fan.jackie-tokeman
Date: 19 Sep 2000 21:22:58 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Jason Bowen wrote:

>> > That's all meaningless.  The Eco-wacko theories that you espouse
>> > are based on cooked data.  This was demonstrated years ago.
>> >
>> > Now...once again, you ignorant, pseudo-intellectual shit-for-brains....
>> >
>> >                         SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
>> Too bad you can't take Abe's words to heart.  Provide proof.  Frankly
>> your schtick gets old.
>
>So is your "The Sky is Falling" message of gloom and doom, now
>
>                         SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP

Too bad you've been put down by multiple people now with more intimate
knowledge of the things you claim to know.  Now that you have shown your
self to be an ingnorant liar
                          SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marty)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,soc.singles,alt.fan.jackie-tokeman
Date: 19 Sep 2000 21:37:16 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron R. Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Jason Bowen wrote:

>> > That's all meaningless.  The Eco-wacko theories that you espouse
>> > are based on cooked data.  This was demonstrated years ago.
>> >
>> > Now...once again, you ignorant, pseudo-intellectual
>> > shit-for-brains....
>> >
>> >                         SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP
>>
>> Too bad you can't take Abe's words to heart.  Provide proof.  Frankly
>> your schtick gets old.
>
>So is your "The Sky is Falling" message of gloom and doom, now
>
>                         SIT DOWN AND SHUT THE FUCK UP

God Bless Internet. :)

Marty

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Computer and memory
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:34:29 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "No Name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8q7kvn$jht$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > As said in a previous message, the US restricts ownership of any
> > Telecommunications company to US citizens, so that in
> > practical terms means that an UK (or any other company
> > form any other country for that matter) company can not
> > build a transatlantic link because there would be no way they
> > could market it in the US.
>
> So? Who says they have to market it in the U.S. The whole point of
> this thread is why aren't Europeans trying to make life better for
> themselves rather than waiting for America to do it for them?
>
> I still don't see any proof as to why European companies CANNOT
> or are RESTRICTED FROM building such a link. The money they made
> from Europe alone would pay for the link.

Europeans are mostly stuck in the " they won't let me get a bigger
slice of the pie" mentality...whereas Americans say, "Hey, I'll just
go out and bake a WHOLE new pie for myself."

> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Sam Morris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 22:47:52 +0100

> Hehe, I can't resist this one.
>
> Aaron's Usenet Posts Breakdown:
>
> Total posts per week 4,000 (slight exageration, maybe)
> Posts that piss people off because of the insipid and
> idiotic ego-centric sig 3,999
> Posts with stupid off-topic rants 3,000
> Posts with stupid on-topic rants 999
> Posts where the rant obscures any useful information in
> the post 3,997
> Posts with discernable and useful information that can
> actually be found 3
> Posts where useful info is obscured by useless retoric
> threats 2
> Posts of useful on-topic nature 1
>
> OK, maybe I got a little carried away with some of the
> numbers, but you get the idea.

Taking you (very) ballpark figures... :)

Aaron's hopelesly lame .sig is 1136 bytes long.

1136 x 4000 ~ 4.3 MB

*THOUGHT FOR THE DAY*

Think of what useful infromation could fill the 4.3MB that Aaron wasts every
week.

*THANK YOU FOR LISTENING*

> --
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Nathaniel Jay Lee

;)

--
Cheers,

Sam

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 17:37:29 -0400

No Name wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 12:52:59 GMT, Chad Myers said:
> >
> >"No Name" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:8q7lj3$jht$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> A company that without the favor and openess of other countries to
> >> market its services would find impossible to sell a global
> >> link.
> >

> >Teledesic has already gained the approval of all the major communications
> >control companies. So far, third world countries are excited about this
> >technology as it will bring easily accessible, reasonably priced Internet
> >access to their countries which don't have any type of cable or telephone
> >infrastructure to build upon, or have remote citizens with now direct
> >land-line link of any sorts.
> >
> >They've gained US FCC acceptance, the ITU's acceptance. They've also
> >had several foreign investors including a Saudi gentleman that
> >invested US $200 million
>
> Which proves my intial point. I would like to see what happens if a
> similar non American company tried to do the same in the US. They would
> be denied permission to trade in the US for the same motive I'll
> quote for the 3rd time: a Telecom company has to be owned by US citizens.
>
> No wonder 3rd world countries are excited, but when those same 3rd
> world countries try to sell their products in the US they find all kind
> of protectionist measures, which has been my point in this thread: the

It has nothing to do with market protectionism and EVERYTHNG to
do with national defense.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (C Lund)
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Id Software developer prefers OS X to Linux, NT
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 23:52:12 +0100

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, dc
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Why didn't you know?
> >Because I haven't used W2K. I thought I already told you that.
> We've talked about it so frequently here that I don't buy that excuse.

Not with me you haven't.

> >> How so?
> >In that you apparently don't know the difference between W2K and Win98.
> Proof?

Your failure to provide examples of the diferences between the two. "Paul
'Z' Ewande" was able to rattle off a brief list with no problem. Why
couldn't you?

--

C Lund
http://www.notam.uio.no/~clund/