  Re: How low can they go...? (T. Max Devlin)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Public v. Private Schools
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:16:20 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> ownership
> > >
> > > Any refs for this??? I must have been dreaming when Michael Diamond won
> > > Olympic gold medal trap shooting yesterday then??  Maybe he was using a
> toy
> > > shotgun???
> >
> > Who did Micheal Diamond murder?
> >

> <snip ridiculous sig>
>
> Again,
>
> What the hell are you talking about.

YOU are the one who dragged him into a conversation about murder...
so, perhaps YOU could tell us what the fuck the connection is.

So far, I see ZERO, other than that he supports my view of the
typical LAW ABIDING GUN OWNER.

> Are you so incapable of logical thought
> that you cant see the connection between your statement:

Again, YOU are the one who brought up an Olympic Gold Medalist shooter
in the context of murders.

Again...what the fuck is the connection, you blinkered fool?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:17:32 -0400

WimpyDyno wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > WimpyDyno wrote:

> > > Did I ever deny that was possible?
> >
> > You never mentioned it.
> >
> > Why is that?

> > > IIRC, funded by the NRA.
> >
> > Bzzzzzzt! Wrong.  Federal Government

> > > You assume too much.
> >
> > Yes...I made the mistake of assuming that you can fairly partake
> > in a logical conversation.
>
> You are needlessly antagonistic.  It is in fact possible to have a
> conversation on usenet for mutual benefit in gaining information.  It is
> rare, but it does happen.  You have assured that this will not be the
> case here.  Goodbye.

Translation: He WimpyDyno defeat.

> --
> |          Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu>         |
> | SCSI is *NOT* magic.  There are *fundamental technical |
> | reasons* why it is necessary to sacrifice a young goat |
> | to your SCSI chain now and then. -- John Woods         |

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: [OT] Global warming.  (was Public v. Private Schools)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:18:26 -0400

WimpyDyno wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > WimpyDyno wrote:

> > > Have I insulted you in any way?
> >
> > Yes... you sided with the loser eco-propagandist.
> >

> > > Didn't you at one point claim not to be the instigator in these flame
> > > wars?
> >
> > When ignorant assholes refuse to cease and desist from spreading lies,
> > then...i turn up the heat.
>
> You're more than a bit of an asshole yourself.  AFAIC, this thread is
> over.  It seems no one wants real information or reason, only what they
> want to hear.

Translation: WimpyDyno concedes defeat.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

   their behavior improves.

From: Zenin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: GPL & freedom
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 04:27:52 -0000

D'Arcy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
        >snip<
: Here is the complete text:
:
: http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html
:
: Point four:
:
: "The freedom to improve the program, and release your improvements to
:   the public, so that the whole community benefits. (freedom 3). Access to
:   the source code is a precondition for this."

        This is a lie.  You are not "free" to release your improvements, you
        are explicitly *FORCED* to do so.

:> I've already said I see nothing wrong with the goal of the GPL.  What I
:> have a problem with is calling it "free".  The definition of freedom is
:> in direct opposition to the goal of the license.
:
: You are trying to take "free" out of context.  Read the GPL and you will
: see that it is indeed providing the freedoms that it is trying to do.  It
: is also more "free" than other licenses - wrt the "freedoms" that it is
: trying to provide.
:
: Stop trying to take the word "free" out of context when talking about the
: GPL and your head will stop hurting ;-) (mine too :-)

        As soon as you take "free" out of the GPL...oh, wait, it doesn't
        change it at all... :-/

        That's the problem.  The GPL redefines "free" for the context of its
        own use in a deliberate and pointed effort to deceive its readers.

        And you've fallen for it...hook, line, and sinker...

        >snip<
: Also if you base your work on my work it is not entirly your work is it?

        My part of the work is entirely my work, period.  Your work is still
        entirely your work and I never have the power to take control of it,
        GPL or not.

        If you think the BSD license fails to ensure the author's work
        remains "free" for all to use, please site even just ONE SINGLE CASE
        where someone has managed to removed BSD licensed code from the
        community.  You won't find it; because it can't be done.

--
-Zenin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])                   From The Blue Camel we learn:
BSD:  A psychoactive drug, popular in the 80s, probably developed at UC

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How low can they go...?
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 00:29:33 -0400

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> I don't play games with trolls.  If you can refute my assertions, feel
>> free.  If you can only hem and haw and argue from ignorance, you're
>> wasting your time.  State your case or shut your trap.
>
>Aliens have come to earth and experimented with T. Max Devlin's brain,
>causing him to find the most illogical statements to seem perfectly
>reasonable, and finding reasonable statements to be difficult to fathom.
>
>If you can refute that statement, feel free Max.  If you can only hem and
>haw and argue from ignorance, you're wasting your time.  State your case or
>shut your trap.
>
>If you can't refute it, then it must be true.  Right?

No, if I can't refute it, then it must be worth discussing.

The problem is you've conjoined several things together, in what is
known as a fallacy of distraction, specifically a complex question.
Whether or not aliens experimented on anyone's brain doesn't seem
logically related to whether I can find what you think is an illogical
statement is perfectly reasonable, or whether I would agree with your
comprehension of reasoning in general.

So that's a relatively dead end.  Would you like to try again?

Here's some help for next time:
http://www.intrepidsoftware.com/fallacy/toc.htm

>> It wouldn't surprise me if they weren't.  Only a moron would assume that
>> there aren't lock-in contracts whenever Microsoft is involved.  They're
>> not interested in competing on their merits, remember; they don't see
>> anything wrong with breaking the law.
>
>You seem to be under the impression that you must sign a contract to use the
>Windows API.  I've never done so, yet seem to be able to use things like IE
>all I want without threat of legal prosecution.

You seem to be under the impression that AOL does not have a contract
specifying that they will use the 'componentized browser' formerly known
as IE in their service in exchange for desktop space in Windows.

"289. In return for Microsoft's commitments, AOL agreed to base the
proprietary access software of its flagship online service for Windows
and the Mac OS on Internet Explorer 3.0 and to update that software as
newer versions of Internet Explorer were released. Another provision in
the agreement provided that "AOL and AOL Affiliates will, with respect
to Third Party Browsers, exclusively promote, market and distribute, and
have promoted, marketed and distributed, Internet Explorer on or for use
by subscribers to the AOL Flagship Service." Specifically, AOL agreed to
ensure that in successive six-month periods, neither the number of
copies of non-Microsoft Web browsing software it shipped (through any
sub-channel, including GNN), nor the number of new subscribers accessing
AOL (including GNN) with non-Microsoft Web browsing software, would
exceed fifteen percent of the total number of copies of proprietary
access software that AOL distributed through any channel (i.e., through
the Windows desktop or otherwise). AOL retained the right to distribute
non-Microsoft Web browsing software to subscribers who affirmatively
requested it, as long as doing so did not did not raise the relevant
shipment quotients above fifteen percent."

http://www.usdoj.gov/atr/cases/f3800/msjudgex.htm#ve

======USENET VIRUS=======COPY THE URL BELOW TO YOUR SIG==============

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!

http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html