Linux-Advocacy Digest #336, Volume #29           Wed, 27 Sep 00 17:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...) ("Aaron R.
Kulkis")
  Re: The Linux Experience ("Yannick")
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively ("Joe R.")
  Linux? (Coconut Ming)
  Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one that  finds this just
a little scary? ("Anthony D. Tribelli")
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (FM)
  Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one that finds this just
a little scary? ("Anthony D. Tribelli")
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (Mike Byrns)
  Re: The Linux Experience (Roberto Selbach Teixeira)
  Re: Linux? ("Philo")
  Re: programming languages and design (Roberto Selbach Teixeira)
  Re: Linux? (Roberto Selbach Teixeira)
  Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?) (Richard)
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (Josiah Fizer)
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (Roberto Selbach Teixeira)
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (Josiah Fizer)
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (Roberto Selbach Teixeira)
  MS Linux Web Site (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
  Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively (Josiah Fizer)
  Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time? (Pete
Goodwin)

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [OT] Bush v. Gore on taxes (was: Re: Would a M$ Voluntary Split ...)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:34:44 -0400

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Which is why I advocate anybody who wants TRUE freedom (economic and
> > otherwise) should vote for the Libertarian party.
>
> Oops, you misspelled 'TRUE anarchy'.

Please provide evidence that the Libertarians advocate anarchy.

> People who espouse the libertarian viewpoint crack me up.  They're
> always ranting about how the 'gubmint' is suppressing them.  If it was

50% tax burden is suppression.

> up to them there would be no FAA, nor FDA, and no other organizations
> to keep big business in check.  Do you suppose Ford and Firestone
> would be in such a hurry to address their problems right now if the
> government wasn't pushing them so hard?  Do you think they wouldn't
> try to cut corners to increase the bottom line at our expense?  Your
> fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
>
> I'll never understand why people who complain about the government are
> so willing to put their faith in big business.
>
> Not that all libertarian views are completely bad (legalizing drugs
> for instance.)
>
> --
> Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
> Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions
> Fax:   (480) 814-4058             1300 N. Alma School Rd.
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    Chandler, AZ 85226

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:37:40 -0400

Aaron Ginn wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:43:36 GMT, ZnU <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >What do you pay in taxes? Take 8% of that. Ask yourself if it's worth
> > >that amount to prevent millions of children from starving to death.
> >
> > NO...it is NOT.
> >
> > If the child's own parents have no interest in feeding their own
> > offspring...why should I?
>
> Maybe they do have an interest in feeding their kids, but can't for
> some reason or another.

Being a lazy crack addict, perhaps...

>                            Some people are legitimately unable to
> provide for their families.

Private charities can handle the few who are LEGITIMATELY unable to do
so.

The rest...fuck them...they made their beds..they can lie in them.

>                              Not everyone is a leech living off of
> your income as you seem to think.

Please explain why %40 of the federal budget goes to welfare-leeche
programs.

> Exactly how much of you income do you feel is a fair amount to tax,
> and what services do you deem tax-worthy?

10% maximum

> > You see...YOUR method means STEALING MY RESOURCES so that they will
> > be used for the benefit of the progeny of some lowlife scum sucking
> > welfare whore and her equally contemptable alcoholic "boyfriends"
>
> I hope your loved ones don't feel the same way when you are unable to
> care for yourself someday.

Ever hear of saving for retirement?

No???

NO wonder you advocate Nanny State policies and programs.

> --
> Aaron J. Ginn                     Motorola SPS
> Phone: (480) 814-4463             SemiCustom Solutions
> Fax:   (480) 814-4058             1300 N. Alma School Rd.
> mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    Chandler, AZ 85226

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

   ...despite (D) above.

From: "Yannick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Linux Experience
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:43:56 GMT

Donovan Rebbechi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:24:42 GMT, Yannick wrote:
> >There is the other limit to be careful about. Experts might have
difficulty
> >sometimes to get down from their tower of knowledge and explain in a
simple,
> >pedagogic way. (I don't say it's intentional, but some people may have
> >difficulties writing good documentation on a subject they are experts
on.).

> It's a popular myth that experts cannot write good documentation because
they
> "know too much". I don't believe this to be the case.  IMO what tends to
> happen is that someone writes documentation that is too advanced for a
> user, and the user assumes that (a) the author is an "expert", and (b)
that
> the documentation is written badly. It's possible that neither is true.
> ( for example, the definitive guides written by Stroustrup and K&R are
very
> nicely written, and great for intermediate programmers, but not ideal for
> a newbie. )

I agree with you. I did not mean that experts could not write for users as a
rule.
But I think it happens sometimes anyway. The problem is more about how
they will organize their docs as what they write in it, though. Most of the
time,
however, I guess that public documentation will not have those problems,
because
somebody will have checked first that the doc was OK.

Yannick.

------------------------------

From: "Joe R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: Space Shuttle uses Windows software almost exclusively
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 19:44:29 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Byrns
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Joe R." wrote:
> >
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Mike Byrns
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Like Bob said.  Not real computers by his definition.  Remember he's
> > > IBM
> > > big iron.
> >
> > No problem for me.
> >
> > But the fact that he's considering that to be a problem with the Mac
> > just shows that he doesn't understand where the Mac is targeted.
>
> Where will it be targeted when OS X ships?  I bet right where it can't
> be targeted now due to it's current lack of modern OS features

Not a chance.

Apple's not going after the $100 K server market. Not now. Not next year.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 04:10:34 +0800
From: Coconut Ming <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux?

Which is Linux version or clone that have many user is using now?
Redhat? Corel? Or original linux?
Any thing on that?
Can give some comment on that?
i need some advice.
thanks

From
kokming

------------------------------

From: "Anthony D. Tribelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SmartShip needs multiple platforms (Was: Am I the only one that  finds
this just a little scary?
Date: 27 Sep 2000 19:47:25 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Tony Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Do tell,
>>
>>http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/winntdr/inx.html
>>
>>Look for entries with "command".
>
>       This is just a plaintext index with no details regarding
>       the actions that aren't being linked to. This is hardly
>       very useful.

Open two windows with your browser. One to the above oreilly link and one
to http://msdn.microsoft.com. Cut-and-paste from the index to the msdn
search field. For example "net use command". :-)

Tony
==================
Tony Tribelli

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FM)
Subject: Re: Because programmers hate users (Re: Why are Linux UIs so crappy?)
Date: 27 Sep 2000 19:12:59 GMT

Chris Sherlock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I find C and C++ to be extremely elegant in the way that they do things.

Damn. What other languages have you used?

Dan.

------------------------------

From: "Anthony D. Tribelli" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
this just a little scary?
Date: 27 Sep 2000 19:54:04 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Tony Tribelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>I'm not sure how well informed your complaint is, when this issue arise in
>>the presence of actual WinNT admins they tend to say they don't have a
>>problem remotely adminstering systems if they want to.
>
>       Details please.
>
>       This just sounds like Lemmings trying to avoid looking foolish.

Bad guess on your part. I've watched an admin in California work on WinNT4
and Win2K systems in Asia and Europe.

Tony
==================
Tony Tribelli

From: Mike Byrns <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:56:22 -0500

"Joe R." wrote:

> > > But the fact that he's considering that to be a problem with the Mac
> > > just shows that he doesn't understand where the Mac is targeted.
> >
> > Where will it be targeted when OS X ships?  I bet right where it can't
> > be targeted now due to it's current lack of modern OS features
>
> Not a chance.
>
> Apple's not going after the $100 K server market. Not now. Not next year.

No?  I bet they go for the $10K server market though.  Dual 500 MHz G4,
3x72GB Ultra 160 SCSI and a gig of RAM would make quite a nice midrange
system with OPENSTEP/Mach 5.0 oops I mean Mac OS X on it.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Sep 2000 16:57:01 -0300

    Donovan> I might. It depends on what they are looking for. man
    Donovan> pages are reference documentation, not tutorial
    Donovan> material. The info docs are more suitable for
    Donovan> this. OFten, people complain about how cryptic the tar
    Donovan> man page is.  But that's because tar is a complicated
    Donovan> command. A better place for a newbie would be the info
    Donovan> documentation for tar which cuts to the chase and offers
    Donovan> a tutorial.

That is true. Unfortunately, I feel like most people tend to know and
refer to man pages. I know people who don't even know that info
exists, and I am talking about people who work with Linux for a
living.

Also, many applications are not documented in info format, which is
very sad, since info really is very good.

    Donovan> The HOWTOs vary greatly in quality. I don't think very
    Donovan> much can be done about this. ( Except volunteers writing
    Donovan> better HOWTOs )

Unfortunately, several HOWTOs are really bad, and others are good but
unmaintained and old.

Regards,
-- Roberto.

------------------------------

From: "Philo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux?
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:00:01 -0500

in the united states Red Hat & Mandrake are used quite a bit.
they are very much the same yet Mandrake seems to work a bit better.
in europe i think SuSe is probably used more...i haven't tried it...but from
the posts i've seen it's supposedly an excellent operating system...
Philo

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: programming languages and design
Date: 27 Sep 2000 17:09:09 -0300

    The> But C++ sure isn't perfect.  (It's pretty good if one knows
    The> what one is doing, but then, so is a blowtorch around a car's
    The> gas tank. :-) ) [*]

No, it is not perfect, that is for sure. And your statement that if is
good if you know what you are doing is interesting, because that is
one of the big problems I have seen with C++ programmers. They tend to
think C++ is an enhanced C. When you see C++ like that, you tend to do
things in an unusual (dangerous) way.

The thing is to actually think of C++ as a language, with different
rules simply because that is the case. C++ is not C.

    The> It works reasonably well.  Java might be faster to prototype,
    The> though, because one doesn't have to worry quite as much about
    The> the sillinesses in C++ that get in the way of getting the
    The> idea working.  (Of course, in Java, one might spend more time
    The> looking up something in the API than simply coding the
    The> routine, too -- it's very rich; there's also the issue that
    The> Java loves to consume memory.)

I used to be a Java fan myself. Actually, I think java is one of the
best designed languages I have ever seen. Unfortunately, its design is
centralized by Sun and Sun does not seem to be very eager to make big
changes where they are needed.

Also, I know people like the idea of running the same .class file in
many architectures, but I *really* would love to see Java compiled
with optimizations, etc...

Regards,
-- Roberto.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 27 Sep 2000 17:15:08 -0300

    Coconut> Which is Linux version or clone that have many user is
    Coconut> using now?  Redhat? Corel? Or original linux?  Any thing
    Coconut> on that?  Can give some comment on that?  i need some
    Coconut> advice.  thanks

For what I understand, you want to know which is the distro most users
use, right?

BTW, there is no clone. There are "distros" like Redhat, Conectiva,
SuSE, Corel, Debian, Slackware, Mandrake, and many, many others.

Even though I have no numbers, I would say that Redhat is one of the
most popular. I don't think Corel has a big market share.

Regards,
-- Roberto.

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:23:16 GMT

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:
> Said Richard in comp.os.linux.advocacy;
> >the innovation. Imagine that. The thing is that I'm using exotic
> >research OSes for comparison so any "Unixish" OS pretty much gets
> >qualified as Unix unless there is very strong reason not to.
>
> But how do your ideas compare to OS/2 and plan 9?

I can interpret this question two ways. I'll interpret it as
"How do OS/2 and Plan 9 qualify as Unixish?"

I haven't seen any design documents for OS/2 and that alone suggests
to me that it is a very traditional OS in the sense of Unix and Windows.

Plan 9 is different enough from Unix to not be Unix. At the same time,
it uses the Unix filesystem semantics and since there is absolutely
no reason to use those semantics (because they are weak, insecure and
arbitrary) then that fact alone qualifies it as Unixish. Plan 9 is a
clean design of Unix ideas, it's not a clean design of general OS ideas.
At best, it's like taking a seriously inbred horse and crossbreeding
it with some completely different breed in order to inject some new
blood (uniformity, connectedness and distribution) into its line. It
works but it's far from ideal.

The unit of selection (in the evolutionary sense) in operating systems
design isn't the system call; it's the Abstract Concept or Design Prin-
ciple. And with that in mind, WinNT qualifies as Unixish, if not outright
Unix. They're just too similar when you look at the big picture. Plan 9
is an evolutionary step beyond Unix but it's still evolved *from* Unix.
Even microkernels are only a *miniscule* evolutionary step (and not even
in the right direction) away from traditional OSes since the whole idea
of the microkernel is just "replicate the system/app programmer divide
within the kernel itself"; a trivial step with trivial consequences.

But then, people so very rarely like to look at the big picture. They
work hard to maintain trivial differences, like that between Unix and
NT or between Liberals and Conservatives (Democrats and Republicans
to the Yanks.)

------------------------------

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:33:52 -0700

Mike Byrns wrote:

> > > Where will it be targeted when OS X ships?  I bet right where it can't
> > > be targeted now due to it's current lack of modern OS features
> >
> > Not a chance.
> >
> > Apple's not going after the $100 K server market. Not now. Not next year.
>
> No?  I bet they go for the $10K server market though.  Dual 500 MHz G4,
> 3x72GB Ultra 160 SCSI and a gig of RAM would make quite a nice midrange
> system with OPENSTEP/Mach 5.0 oops I mean Mac OS X on it.

Sure, everyone wants a server without internal RAID (hardware), redundant power
or system monitoring. To enter even the low end server market Apple would have
to come out with a new hardware platform. Which owuld be fine by me as I'm
stuck with a number of Macintosh 4D "servers" on my network and they could do
with some better hardware.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Sep 2000 17:38:47 -0300

    Josiah> Sure, everyone wants a server without internal RAID
    Josiah> (hardware), redundant power or system monitoring. To enter
    Josiah> even the low end server market Apple would have to come
    Josiah> out with a new hardware platform. Which owuld be fine by
    Josiah> me as I'm stuck with a number of Macintosh 4D "servers" on
    Josiah> my network and they could do with some better hardware.

I don't think Apple even _want_ to enter the server arena. Apple has
always been directed towards desktop applications. That's where they
are good and that's where they should stay. Stating that Apple
computers might work as high end servers is indeed ludicrous.

regards,
-- Roberto.

------------------------------

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:42:44 -0700

Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

>     Josiah> Sure, everyone wants a server without internal RAID
>     Josiah> (hardware), redundant power or system monitoring. To enter
>     Josiah> even the low end server market Apple would have to come
>     Josiah> out with a new hardware platform. Which owuld be fine by
>     Josiah> me as I'm stuck with a number of Macintosh 4D "servers" on
>     Josiah> my network and they could do with some better hardware.
>
> I don't think Apple even _want_ to enter the server arena. Apple has
> always been directed towards desktop applications. That's where they
> are good and that's where they should stay. Stating that Apple
> computers might work as high end servers is indeed ludicrous.
>
> regards,
> -- Roberto.

Depends on how you define "high end". Macs make good FTP and HTTP servers.
They also can make good database servers (not great, but good).

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: 27 Sep 2000 17:46:32 -0300

    Josiah> Depends on how you define "high end". Macs make good FTP
    Josiah> and HTTP servers.  They also can make good database
    Josiah> servers (not great, but good).

My point is that a Mac was *not* designed to be a server. Macs are
fantastic machines for a lot of things, just not servers.

regards,
-- roberto.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nathaniel Jay Lee)
Subject: MS Linux Web Site
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:06:19 -0000

Now that I have everyone's attention, this is a joke site,
but I thought everyone would get a kick out of it.  Plus,
if you haven't seen it, you may want to hurry before they
get sued into oblivion.

http://www.mslinux.org

Favorite quote:

>How do I get MS Linux?
>
>We are now offering the MS Linux Introductory CD
>at a special introductory price of only $249.99
>(plus shipping and handling), if you order
>before it ships.
>
>MS Linux is released under the provisions of the
>Gates Private License, which means you can
>freely use this Software on a single machine
>without warranty after having paid the purchase
>price and annual renewal fees.

There are some other good ones in there about MS sending
monkeys to Mars to establish a monopoly with the martians
before human travel there is possible and some other
jokes.  But the principle itself is funny.

Now, the only down side is it's one more red flag in MS's
face that they may take the wrong way and decide to
actually make an MS Linux.  God, I hope not.

Nathaniel Jay Lee

------------------------------

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:07:57 -0700

>     Josiah> Depends on how you define "high end". Macs make good FTP
>     Josiah> and HTTP servers.  They also can make good database
>     Josiah> servers (not great, but good).
>
> My point is that a Mac was *not* designed to be a server. Macs are
> fantastic machines for a lot of things, just not servers.
>
> regards,
> -- roberto.

I dont agree 100%. As an example, the best DNS server I've found for a
mid sized network is a Macintosh product from Mice & Men called Quick
DNS Pro.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: alt.windows98
Subject: Re: So did they ever find out what makes windows98 freeze up all the time?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2000 21:09:37 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bruce Malmat) wrote in
<uMaA5.4594$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Axiom: Real operating systems do not lock up all the time.
>Fact: Windows locks up all the time.
>Conclusion: Windows is not a real operating system.

Which version of Windows?

You do realise Windows was never designed as a "real" operating system with
memory protection etc.? That every process can see system space and can
overwrite it. It was designed thus to support backwards compatibility with
older software.

Windows NT/2000 is a very different story.

>If you want reliability, you gotta get Unix or Linux. My HP Unix
>systems, used in business and manufacturing applications, never hang.
>The only downtime is:

Or OpenVMS
Or Windows NT/2000.

>Unfortunately, Unix/Linux makes a lousy desktop. If you want fun, you
>gotta have Windows.
>
>Tough choices.

Not really. If you want fun, run Windows 98 SE. If you want reliability
(but can run most of the same software, and for the first time, a load more
games) try Windows 2000.

--
Pete Goodwin
---