On Tue, 19 Feb 2019, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> >  As I say, shouldn't the barrier be in `iowriteX' instead?  I don't
> > suppose these are allowed to be weakly ordered.
> >
> >   Maciej
>
> iowriteX is for memory-mapped I/O, out[bwl] is for I/O ports.

 Well, actually `iowriteX' is generic and for MMIO you have `writeX'.
See lib/iomap.c, the comment at the top and e.g. `iowrite8' there for an
actual proof.  Alpha may have an oddball implementation, but there you go.
Drivers will assume they can do `iowriteX' to any kind of I/O resource,
and ordering must be respected as per Documentation/memory-barriers.txt.

  Maciej