On 2/9/23 08:31, Bengt Gördén wrote:
On 2023-02-08 18:04, Will Godfrey wrote:
Quite honestly, the more I see, the more this looks like a train wreck!

On 2023-02-08 18:06, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
for instance, and for crying out loud, pipewire is simply a disaster under a PREEMPT_RT kernel, while jack excels with flying colors :)

You are probably both right, I don't know but I would like to know a little more how you came to this conclusion.

been testing it a lot, over every kernel-rt patch and pipewire release, currently on 6.2-rc7-rt1 and pipewire 0.3.65.

pipewire's scheduling is allegedly based on s/w timers and not on h/w irqs like jack/alsa; it's just more prone to xruns when under a preempt_rt kernel and buffer-sizes (or quantum) lower than 1024 frames/period.

overall, vanilla preempt aka low-latency kernels, seem to work better in this regard;

byee
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela
rn...@rncbc.org