On Wed, 8 Feb 2023, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

note that I don't (always) want to "swap" jack for pipewire-jack...

I don't blain you. There are a few simple commands that do not require install remove steps. Basically remove the pointer at PW's version of libjack and ldconfig. Not sure what that does for "pulse"/jack bridging but that is supposed to be able to happen still. pactl info should tell you who is being pulseaudio. Look for:
Server Name: PulseAudio (on PipeWire 0.3.63)

I want both to be installed and co-exist in the system and have the option to run wither one, genuine jackd(bus) or pipewire-jack substitution on a whim, anytime

Can be done-ish

for instance, and for crying out loud, pipewire is simply a disaster under a PREEMPT_RT kernel, while jack excels with flying colors :)

- No ffado back end either so second class ALSA firewire drivers.
- While there are reports otherwise, free wheel still fails for me.
        Ardour exports still need to be done in RT or I have to reboot.

nuff said

indeed.

--
Len Ovens