Erwin van Londen wrote:
Dear all,

While going through the archived mailing list and crawling along the wiki I
didn't find any clues if there would be any optimizations in Btrfs to make
efficient use of functions and features that today exist on enterprise class
storage arrays.

One exception to that was the ssd option which I think can make a improvement
on read and write IO's however when attached to a storage array, from an OS
perspective, it doesn't really matter since it can't look behind the array
front-end interface anyhow(whether it FC/iSCSI or any other).

There are however more options that we could think of. Almost all storage
arrays these days have the capabilities to replicate volume (or part of it in
COW cases) either in the system or remotely. It would be handy that if a Btrfs
formatted volume could make use of those features since this might offload a
lot of the processing time involved in maintaining these. The arrays already
have optimized code to make these snapshots. I'm not saying we should step away
from the host based snapshots but integration would be very nice.
I agree - it would be great to have a standard way to invoke built in snap shots in enterprise arrays. Does HDS export something that we could invoke from kernel context to perform a snap shot?

Furthermore some enterprise array have a feature that allows for full or partial staging
data in cache. By this I mean when a volume contains a certain amount of blocks you can
define to have the first X number of blocks pre-staged in cache which enables you to have
extremely high IO rates on these first ones. An option related to the -ssd parameter
could be to have a mount command say "mount -t btrfs -ssd 0-10000" so Btrfs
knows what to expect from the partial area and maybe can optimize the locality of
frequently used blocks to optimize performance.
Effectively, you prefetch and pin these blocks in cache? Is this something we can preconfigure via some interface per LUN?
Another thing is that some arrays have the capability to "thin-provision" volumes. In the
back-end on the physical layer the array configures, let say, a 1 TB volume and virtually
provisions 5TB to the host. On writes it dynamically allocates more pages in the pool up to the 5TB
point. Now if for some reason large holes occur on the volume, maybe a couple of ISO images that
have been deleted, what normally happens is just some pointers in the inodes get deleted so from an
array perspective there is still data on those locations and will never release those allocated
blocks. New firmware/microcode versions are able to reclaim that space if it sees a certain number
of consecutive zero's and will reclaim that space to the volume pool. Are there any thoughts on
writing a low-priority tread that zeros out those "non-used" blocks?

Patches have been floating around to support this - see the recent patches around "DISCARD" on linux-ide and lkml. It would be great to get access to a box that implemented the T10 proposed UNMAP commands that we could test against.
Given the scalability targets of Btrfs it will most likely be heavily used in the enterprise environment once it reaches a stable code level. If we would be able to interface with these array based features that would be very beneficial.
Furthermore one question also pops to mind and that's when looking at the
scalability of Btrfs and its targeted capacity levels I think we will run into
problems with the capabilities of the server hardware itself. From what I can
see now it will not be designed as a distributed file-system with integrated
distributed lock manager to scale out over multiple nodes. (I know Oracle is
working on a similar thing but this might get things more complicated than it
already is.) This might impose some serious issues with recovery scenarios like
backup/restore since it will take quite some time to backup/restore a multi PB
system when it resides on just 1 physical host even when we're talking high end
P-series, I25K's or Superdome class.

I'm not a coder but am heavily involved in the storage industry for the past 15
years so this is just some of the things I come across in real life enterprise
customer environments so these are just some of my mind spinnings.

There are some more however these would be best covered in another topic.

Let me know your thoughts.

Kind regards,

Erwin van Londen
Systems Engineer
HITACHI DATA SYSTEMS
Level 4, 441 St. Kilda Rd.
Melbourne, Victoria, 3004
Australia
Erwin, the real key here is to figure out what standard interfaces we can use to invoke these functions (from kernel context). Having a background in storage myself, the challenge in taking advantage of these advanced array features has been that each vendor has their own back door API's to control this. Linux likes to take advantage of well supported by multiple vendor features.

If you have HDS engineers interested in exploring this or spilling details on how to trigger these, it would be a great conversation (but not just for btrfs, you would need to talk to the broader SCSI, LVM, etc lists as well :-))

Ric