On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 12:43 +0100, Ric Wheeler wrote:
> > New firmware/microcode versions are able to reclaim that space if it
> > sees a certain number of consecutive zero's and will reclaim that
> > space to the volume pool. Are there any thoughts on writing a
> > low-priority tread that zeros out those "non-used" blocks?
>
> Patches have been floating around to support this - see the recent
> patches around "DISCARD" on linux-ide and lkml.  It would be great to
> get access to a box that implemented the T10 proposed UNMAP commands
> that we could test against.

We've already made btrfs support TRIM, and Matthew has patches which
hook it up for ATA/IDE devices. Adding SCSI support shouldn't be hard
once the dust settles on the spec.

I don't think I've seen anybody talking about deliberately writing
zeroes instead of just issuing a discard command though. That doesn't
seem like a massively cunning plan.

david.woodho...@intel.com                              Intel Corporation