On Thursday 05 August 2010 16:15:22 Leonidas Spyropoulos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I want to make a btrfs raid0 on 2 partitions of my pc.
> Until now I am using the mdadm tools to make a software raid of the 2
> partitions /dev/sde2, /dev/sdd2
> and then mkfs.etx4 the newly created /dev/md0 device.
> From performance point of view is it better to keep the configuration of
> mdadm and just format the /dev/md0 device as btrfs OR
> delete the raid device and format the 2 partitions /dev/sde2 /dev/sdd2
> as a btrfs with 2 devices?
> mkfs.btrfs /dev/sde2 /dev/sdd2

Btrfs already supports metadata mirroring when the data is striped. What this
means, is while the performance should be more-or-less identical to MD RAID0
(if it isn't it's a bug), your data is a bit more secure as the metadata
describing it resides on both drives. Later on it will be possible to selct
which directories/files should have what level of redundancy. This will allow
to have ~/work RAID1-ed and ~/videos RAID0-ed while keeping both directories
on the same partition and filesystem.

> On a sidenote:
> If I decide to go for raid5 which is not supported currently from mkfs
> I have to use the mdadm tool anyway, right?

yes, RAID5 code is not in trunk yet.

--
Hubert Kario
QBS - Quality Business Software