On Friday 6 May, 2011 08:15:25 cac...@quantum-sci.com wrote:
> I'm afraid to reboot though, because yesterday I started a btrfs fi balance
> on this machine while sshed to another, and that is still running 15 hours
> later with no indication of progress nor sign of abating.  ^C is ineffective.

Wow.  I was very nearly completely screwed.  I went ahead and rebooted, but
grub.cfg was not set up at all.  I had no way to run update-grub on that root,
and so tried manually filling in the missing parameters.  That didn't work,
probably through the obfuscation of UUIDs I couldn't determine what was really
going on.  What a terrible idea the way they were implemented, UUIDs.  Why not
put the current device assignment somewhere in the number?  Terrible.

I ended up copying an old grub.cfg from a backup, and that got me at least
booted, though with lots of grub errors.  Now I am at a loss.

I don't understand this.  grub-update at least -pretended- to work before I
rebooted.  I am still in shock.  MUST get some actual work done today, rather
than bit-twiddling.  MUST try and make a living.