On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 03:45:07PM -0400, kathleen.ho...@emc.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to use mod3 ckds which are already RAID10 protection. (most of the
> doc I'm looking at uses fba instead of ckd, so I didn't know if this was a
> limitation)
> I'm addressing the head device and able to use these devices with no problem
> as ext3.  I've been reading that cache may remember that it used to be ext3,
> so I detached and reattached, but get the same result when trying to mount
> after formatting.
>
> I use the following to make the file system after I've attached, varied
> online, formated and partitioned (also tried without the journaling switch).
> mke2fs -j -t btrfs /dev/dasdbj1

   Quoting the man page for that command:

"mke2fs  is used to create an ext2, ext3, or ext4 filesystem, [...]"

The -t option specifies which of ext2, ext3, and ext4 to create.  I'm
surprised it did anything at all given a type of "btrfs"...

   You probably wanted mkfs.btrfs instead:

# mkfs.btrfs -d single -m single /dev/dasdbj1

> Then the mount command:
> mount -t btrfs /dev/dasdbj1 /home/sdasd/d01
> mount: /dev/dasdbj1: can't read superblock

   If it created an ext2/3/4 filesystem, I'm not entirely surprised
that it can't find a btrfs superblock there. :)

   Hugo.

  --- We teach people management skills by examining characters in ---
            Shakespeare.  You could look at Claudius's crisis
                   management techniques, for example.