On 2/25/2012 7:57 PM, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
On 12-02-25 09:37 PM, Fahrzin Hemmati wrote:
Nope, still in heavy development, though you should upgrade to 3.2.
I recall being told I should upgrade to 2.6.36 (or was it .37 or .38) at
one time.  Seems like one should always upgrade.  :-/
It's a new, in-development filesystem. Until they say "It's stable, have fun", you should upgrade. If you follow any other filesystem before they've marked it stable and you'll get the same responses.
Also, the devs mentioned in several places it's not friendly to small
drives, and I'm pretty sure 5GB is considered tiny.
But it won't ever get taken serious if it can't be used on "regular"
filesystems.  I shouldn't have to allocate an 80G filesystem for 3G of
data just so that the filesystem isn't "tiny".
All filesystems have their own pros and cons; btrfs, at least while in-development doesn't support small filesystems. Again, nobody's responded to the contrary, but there may be a way to changing the default allocation size to less than 1GB, making your use case viable. I recommend Google.
I don't think you need to separate /usr out to it's own disk. You could
instead create a single drive with multiple subvolumes for /, /var,
/usr, etc.
The point is to separate filesystems which can easily fill with
application data growth from filesystems that can have more fatal
effects by being filled.

That said, I don't think having /var as a subvolume in the same pool as
/ and /usr achieves that usage isolation, does it?  Isn't /var still
allowed to consume all of the space that it, / and /usr share with them
all being subvolumes in the same pool?

When you have Ubuntu use btrfs for /, it creates @ and @home
for / and /home, respectively,
Yes, I had noticed that.  I also didn't immediately see anything that
prevents /home from filling / as I describe above.

Cheers,
b.

No, at least not yet, nor am I aware of any plans for subvolume quotas, though I could be wrong. If you wish to use a small space for your /usr, you can either wait for btrfs to support your use-case (or find out how to change allocation size), or use another filesystem that already does.

--Farz