Hello,

Since several people asked to post the results, here they are.
I tried raw virtio disk with and without -z -C set and also qcow2 virtio disk without -z -C set and did not notice any difference in performance at all - Redhat 6.2 Minimal installs in 10 minutes in each case. The "abysmal" performance as it was some several months ago (like 10 minutes just for virtual disk formatting) under the same conditions is no more at least on 3.3.0-rc5.

best
~dima