On 02/28/2012 07:10 AM, Chester wrote:
On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 7:54 AM, dima<dole...@parallels.com>  wrote:
Hello,

Since several people asked to post the results, here they are.
I tried raw virtio disk with and without -z -C set and also qcow2 virtio
disk without -z -C set and did not notice any difference in performance at
all - Redhat 6.2 Minimal installs in 10 minutes in each case. The "abysmal"
performance as it was some several months ago (like 10 minutes just for
virtual disk formatting) under the same conditions is no more at least on
3.3.0-rc5.

Just to make sure, this is a _new_ virtual disk right? I can barely
contain my excitement right now. This is amazing progress.

Yes, it is a newly created virtual disk. By the way, one thing that slipped out from my message - in case of raw I did pre-allocation of the entire image, but in case of qcow2 I unchecked this box in virt-manager and the disk was "growing" as the system was installing. Nevertheless I did not notice performance degradation during the install.

best
~dima