Hi Helmut,

are you sure that 'mkfs.ext2/3/4 -L "label" /dev/xxx' doesn't create a new fs?

Afaik to change a label of a given (ext2/3/4) filesystem you should use tune2fs.

I don't have a linux system available right now but this is what I would expect and what would make a lot more sense then changing a label via mkfs.ext2/3/4. If you are correct with that labeling thing then the btrfs way makes like 1000x more sense then the way ext2/3/4 does it.

mkfs should only be used for creating filesystems. For changing existing fs tools like tune2fs, btrfs etc. should be used.

Regards,
Felix