> On: Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:22:42 +0200"Klaus A. Kreil" wrote

> I am just an interested reader on the btrfs list and so far have never
> posted or sent a message to the list, but I do have a dedup bash script
> that searches for duplicates underneath a directory (provided as an
> argument) and hard links identical files.
>
> It works very well for an ext3 filesystem, but I guess the basics should
> be the same for a btrfs filesystem.

Everyone feel free to correct me here, but:
At the moment there is a little problem with the maximum number of hard links
in a directory. So I wouldn't use them wherever possible to avoid any thinkable
problems in the near future.

Plus to hard link 2 files means, that change one file You change the other one.
It's something You either don't want to happen or something, which could be
done in better ways. The cp --reflink method on a COW-fs is a much smarter
method.

Plus hard links across subvolumes do match the case of hard links across
devices on a traditional fs, which is forbidden.

Plus hard links In my opinion should really be substituted by soft links,
because hard links are not transparent at the first sight and can not be copied
as it.

So no, I'd rather want the patch to allow cross-subvolume cp --reflink in the
kernel and I will wait for that to happen.

Greetings
   Norbert