Hi list,

I have a few large image files (VMware workstation VMDKs and TrueCrypt containers) which I routinely back up over the network to a btrfs raid10 volume via bigsync (https://code.google.com/p/bigsync/).

The VM images in particular get really fragmented due to CoW, which is expected. I haven't yet switched off CoW on the backups directory mainly to experiment and see what would happen. So doing that would be an acceptable solution to my issue below, but I'm curious as to what's happening.

Filefrag reports that a VM image file has 4744 extents. If I run btrfs fi defrag -v /path/to/file.vmdk, it returns immediately with no messages but an exit status of 20, and running filefrag again shows that no defragmentation has taken place.

This is on Ubuntu 13.04, kernel 3.9.0-rc8 and v0.20-rc1 of the tools, and the file in the example is 34GB.

Any ideas what's happening here?

Cheers,

 ---tim