Yes. The command just triggers the defragmentation which takes place in the
background. Try a "sync" afterwards :)

Sorry Martin, I should have specified that I wondered if it was like the scrub operation in that respect, so I left it several hours before running filefrag again (and seeing that the number of extents was unchanged). Top and iostat also don't report any particular activity immediately after running the defrag command, so it doesn't look like much if anything is happening.

By the way, this is on a filesystem mounted with -o autodefrag, although per the docs I wasn't expecting the auto defragmentation to work with the big VM images.