Yep - had just figured that out and successfully booted with it, and was in the process of typing up instructions for the list (and posterity).

One thing that concerns me is that edits made directly to grub.cfg will get wiped out with every kernel upgrade when update-grub is run - any idea where I'd put this in /etc/grub.d to have a persistent change?

I have to tell you, I'm not real thrilled with this behavior either way - it means I can't have the option to automatically mount degraded filesystems without the filesystems in question ALWAYS showing as being mounted degraded, whether the disks are all present and working fine or not. That's kind of blecchy. =\