On Jan 3, 2014, at 4:13 PM, Jim Salter <j...@jrs-s.net> wrote:

> Sorry - where do I put this in GRUB? /boot/grub/grub.cfg is still kinda black
> magic to me, and I don't think I'm supposed to be editing it directly at all
> anymore anyway, if I remember correctly…

Don't edit the grub.cfg directly. At the grub menu, only highlight the entry
you want to boot, then hit 'e', and then edit the existing linux/linuxefi line.
If you already have rootfs on a subvolume, you'll have an existing parameter on
that line rootflags=subvol=<rootname> and you can change this to
rootflags=subvol=<rootname>,degraded

I would not make this option persistent by putting it permanently in the
grub.cfg; although I don't know the consequence of always mounting with
degraded even if not necessary it could have some negative effects (?)

Chris Murphy--