On Mar 3, 2014, at 12:24 PM, Michael Russo <m...@papersolve.com> wrote:

> Chris Murphy <lists <at> colorremedies.com> writes:
>
>> It might be worth adding enospc_debug as a mount option
>
> These messages only appear when I mount with enospc_debug.

Gotcha. I think Hugo has the best next step. Defragment.

> As for whether btrfs-convert should be recommended, I
> mean probably not, but when you've got a big media drive filled
> with music, pictures, and movies, with no other place to store it,

Sure I understand the use case. And I think it should work. But I'm wondering
whether it's more highly regarded than merely just be functional, or not.

> and you've experienced corruption where 5% of your MP3 files
> have 10 seconds of another MP3 stuck in the middle of them
> somehow,  and suddenly realize you NEED a checksumming
> next-generation file system like btrfs, you're going to convert!

That's not good. It sounds to me like misdirected writes. Or file system
corruption. Anyone else?

Btrfs can detect and (with data redundancy) can correct for torn and
misdirected writes, among other problems. But 5% of 1TB is 50GB. That's a lot
of corrupt data. I think what you need is to replace one or more drives, or
look for problems elsewhere. Using Btrfs is not bad in this case, but it's also
a crutch for a bigger problem that shouldn't be happening in the first place.

Chris Murphy