On Mar 3, 2014, at 1:50 PM, Michael Russo <m...@papersolve.com> wrote:

> Oh yeah, it was definitely a problem with either the drives
> or the external enclosure, which was converting USB to SATA
> and mirroring the drives internally (it was a WD MyBook
> Mirror Edition). There was a problem with one of the drives
> and I replaced it, but before I did it screwed up some
> data. I think one drive kept trying to do a retry on a read
> and somehow the logic decided to just give me a "nearby"
> sector to satisfy the read (I can't really figure out how else
> 10 seconds of a random but "nearby" in alphabetical order
> MP3 could get stuck into the middle of another MP3).

If it's a persistent problem with a particular file, that has the same 10
seconds from some other song, it's actually been written to disk wrong. That's
a misdirected write.

10 seconds of some other file playing translates into how many blocks of data
roughly? That's probably a pretty big misdirect. So I don't know that this
would be more likely a drive problem, or possibly memory or controller. I'd
burn a memtest86+ run for a few days if you haven't done this recently to
remove that as a factor.

> So I removed the entire enclosure and put them inside
> my case and decided I never wanted it to happen again so I
> converted to btrfs. :)  Very happy it exists!

The USB to SATA chipsets are all over the map quality wise, a lot of them suck.
So this sounds like you've eliminated the controller as a factor going forward,
by changing back to a direct SATA connection. That's a good idea.

Chris Murphy