Hi,
On 06/27/2014 05:44 PM, Zhe Zhang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I setup 2 Linux servers to share the same device through iSCSI. Then I
> created a btrfs on the device. Then I saw the problem that the 2 Linux
> servers do not see a consistent file system image.
>
> Details:
> -- Server 1 running kernel 2.6.32, server 2 running 3.2.1
> -- Both running btrfs v0.20-rc1
> -- Server 2 has device /dev/vdc, exposed as iSCSI target
>  -- Server 1 mounts the device as /dev/sda
> -- Server 1 'mount /dev/sda /mnt/btrfs'; server 2 'mount /dev/vdc /mnt/btrfs',
>  -- When server 1 'touch /mnt/btrfs/foo', server 2 doesn't see any
> file under /mnt/btrfs
> -- I created /mnt/btrfs/foo on server 2 as well; then I added some
> content from both server 1 and server 2 to /mnt/btrfs/foo
> -- After that each server sees the content it adds, but not the
> content from the other server
> -- Both server 'umount /mnt/btrfs', and mount it again
> -- Then both servers see /mnt/btrfs/foo with the content added from
> server 2 (I guess it's because server 2 created the foo file later
> than server 1).
>
> I did a similar test on ext4 and both servers see a consistent image
> of the file system. When server 1 creates a foo file server 2
> immediately sees it.
>
> Is this how btrfs is supposed to work?

I don't think that it is possible to mount the _same device_ at the _same time_
on two different machines. And this doesn't depend by the filesystem.

The fact that you see it working, I suspect that is is casual.

When I tried this (same scsi HD connected to two machines), I had to ensure
that the two machines never accessed to the HD at the same time.

> Thanks,
>
> Zhe
> --

gpg @keyserver.linux.it: Goffredo Baroncelli (kreijackATinwind.it>
Key fingerprint BBF5 1610 0B64 DAC6 5F7D  17B2 0EDA 9B37 8B82 E0B5