Jim,

btrfs send reliability has been an issue, though I've been able to
successfully use it for my backups.  buttersink usually detects the
errors and will either move the destination snapshot to mark it as
partial/failed (for btrfs), or cancel and delete the partial upload
(for S3).  I've also found that it helps to wait a while (e.g. 30
seconds) after any volume deletes before trying the send/sync.  I hope
btrfs-progs will get more reliable, too.

- Ames