On 12/08/14 12:00, Konstantinos Skarlatos wrote:
Maybe help with Andrea Mazzoleni's New RAID library supporting up to six parities? It seems to be a great feature for btrfs.

https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg31735.html

That would be very cool, but at present vanila RAID 5 or 6 does not work properly, so I think getting that fully working would be a better idea. (Unless it would make more sense to merge the whole lot into one bit of work where RAID 5 or 6 are just a special case of arbitrary parity level support).

At present, you can write RAID 5 or 6 data, but if anything goes wrong, btrfs cannot use the parity information to help you get your data back, so in general you are better off with RAID 1 or 10. Also, I don't think I/O done in parallel so you get no speed advantage from having multiple discs either.

--
David Pottage