I wasn't sure what you meant with <wherever you mkfs btrfs> so I dd'd
all the three possible cases:

1) here's the dmcrypt device on which I mkfs.btrfs

   2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 487.265 s, 4.3 MB/s

2) here's the partition of the usb stick (which has another partition
containing /boot) on top of which the dmcrypt device is created

  2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 449.693 s, 4.7 MB/s

3) here's the whole usb stick device

  2097152000 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 448.003 s, 4.7 MB/s

It's a usb2 device but doesn't it seem kind of slow?

Thanks
John