On Sat, Aug 1, 2015 at 9:46 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:

> If it was setup with something earlier (not sure about 4.1.0, was it
> affected?

No.

> but 4.0.x and earlier should be fine for setup), however, once
> on a new kernel the usual ENOSPC workarounds can be given a try.  That
> would include a first balance start -dusage=0 -musage=0, and if that
> didn't free up at least a gig on a second device,

If I'm following this correctly, the reproduce steps would be to
create a single device Btrfs that's ~94% full, add two devices, then
convert to raid5. I think what's going on here is empty single profile
data chunks aren't being deallocated, and it's effectively a 2 device
raid5.

So actually, you're right, either -dusage=0 might fix it, or better,
newer kernel that automatically deallocated empty/converted single
profile data chunks. But right now it will take another balance in the
end because it looks like this is effectively a 2 device raid5, with
the 3rd drive full of single only chunks (which might be empty?).

--
Chris Murphy