Hi,

How does btrfs handle raid1 on a bunch of uneven sized disks? Can I
just keep adding arbitrarily sized disks to an existing raid1 and
expect the file system to continue to keep two copies of everything,
so I could survive the loss of any single disk without data loss? Does
btrfs work this way?

For backing up several machines at home, I use an old Debian machine
which is equipped with some spare disks I could get my hands on.
Currently that would be 2 x 2TB, 1 x 1.5TB , 3 x 1TB disks.

Traditionally I'm using rsync to create hardlinked backups on ext3/4
on md-raid1. This setup has been working reliably for many years now,
including the survival of two disk failures. But it is quite
cumbersome to reshape the structure of the raids when I get a new
disk, an old one fails, or space requirements change. A single btrfs
with snapshots would be much easier to handle. I'm not aiming for
absolute reliability here -- all the really important stuff is backed
up in a third place as well. But I would rather not like my file
system to be the weakest link in the backup chain.

Regards,
Jim