On 2015-11-07 08:58, Chris Murphy wrote:
On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM, David Sterba <dste...@suse.cz> wrote:
Hi,

the kernel 4.3 was released yesterday, the btrfs-progs will follow at the end
of this week. I've tagged an rc1 from current devel branch. There are a lots of
small invisible changes and one change in the defaults:

* mkfs: mixed mode is not forced anymore for devices smaller than 1 GiB

Why?

If it's still recommended to use mixed for small device, why not keep
it the default and just permit the user to manually specify something
else?

I think the reasoning here is that leaving it as the default would require adding another option (possibly, I don't know if -O !mixed-bg works to override the default). Of course, properly educating people that they should be using this on small devices is going to be a much longer and more involved task than just adding an option...