On 2015-12-12 17:15, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
On Sat, 2015-11-28 at 06:49 +0000, Duncan wrote:
Christoph Anton Mitterer posted on Sat, 28 Nov 2015 04:57:05 +0100 as
excerpted:
Still, specifically for snapshots that's a bit unhandy, as one
typically
doesn't mount each of them... one rather mount e.g. the top level
subvol
and has a subdir snapshots there...
So perhaps the idea of having snapshots that are per se noatime is
still
not too bad.
Read-only snapshots?
So you basically mean that ro snapshots won't have their atime updated
even without noatime?
Well I guess that was anyway the recent behaviour of Linux filesystems,
and only very old UNIX systems updated the atime even when the fs was
set ro.
Unless things have changed very recently, even many modern systems update atime on read-only filesystems, unless the media itself is read-only. This is part of the reason for some of the forensics tools out there that drop write commands to the block devices connected to them.

That'd do it, and of course you can toggle the read-
only property (see btrfs property and its btrfs-property manpage).
Sure, but then it would still be nice for rw snapshots.

I guess what I probably actually want is the ability to set noatime as
a property.
I'll add that in a "feature request" on the project ideas wiki.

Alternatively, mount the toplevel subvol read-only or noatime on one
mountpoint, and bind-mount it read-write or whatever other
appropriate
Well it's of course somehow possible... but that seems a bit ugly to
me... the best IMHO, would really be if one could set a property on
snapshots that marks them noatime.
If you have software that actually depends on atimes, then that software is broken (and yes, I even feel this way about Mutt). The way atimes are implemented on most systems breaks the semantics that almost everyone expects from them, because they get updated for anything that even looks sideways at the inode from across the room. Most software that uses them expects them to answer the question 'When were the contents of this file last read?', but they can get updated even for stuff like calculating file sizes, listing directory contents, or modifying the file's metadata.