On Mon, 2015-12-14 at 09:24 -0500, Austin S. Hemmelgarn wrote:
> Unless things have changed very recently, even many modern systems
> update atime on read-only filesystems, unless the media itself is
> read-only.
Seriously? Oh... *sigh*...
You mean as in Linux, ext*, xfs?

> If you have software that actually depends on atimes, then that
> software
> is broken (and yes, I even feel this way about Mutt).
I don't disagree here :D

> The way atimes
> are implemented on most systems breaks the semantics that almost
> everyone expects from them, because they get updated for anything
> that
> even looks sideways at the inode from across the room.  Most software
> that uses them expects them to answer the question 'When were the
> contents of this file last read?', but they can get updated even for
> stuff like calculating file sizes, listing directory contents, or
> modifying the file's metadata.
Sure... my point here again was, that I try to look every now and then
at the whole thing from the pure-end-user side:
For them, the default is relatime, and they likely may not want to
change that because they have no clue on how much further effects this
may have (or not).
So as long as Linux doesn't change it's defaults to noatime, leaving
things up to broken software (i.e. to get fixed), I think it would be
nice for the end-user, to have e.g. snapshots be "save" (from the
write-amplification on read) out of the box.

My idea would be basically, that having a noatime btrfs-property, which
is perhaps even set automatically, would be an elegant way of doing
that.
I just haven't had time to properly write that up and add is as a
"feature request" to the projects idea wiki page.

Cheers,
Chris.