Christoph Anton Mitterer posted on Wed, 16 Dec 2015 16:04:03 +0100 as
excerpted:

> On Wed, 2015-12-16 at 09:41 -0500, Chris Mason wrote:

>> Hugo is right here.  reiserfs had tools that would scan and entire
>> block device for metadata blocks and try to reconstruct the filesystem
>> based on what it found.

> Creepy... at least when talking about a "normal" fsck... good that btrfs
> is going to be the next-gen-ext, and not reiser4 ;)

What often gets lost in discussions of this nature is that it _wasn't_
"normal" fsck that had the problem, but rather, a parameter
(--rebuild-tree, IIRC) much like btrfs check (--init-csum-tree,
 init-extent-tree) and rescue (chunk-recover) use for blowing away and
recreating the checksum tree, extent tree, chunk tree, etc.

So it's definitely _not_ something that reiserfsck would do in a "normal"
fsck, only when doing "I'm desperate and don't have backups, go to the
ends of the earth if necessary to recover what you can of my data, and
yes, I understand it could be a bit risky or end up rather disordered,
but I'm willing to take that risk because I _am_ that desperate", level
recovery.

Arguably, however, the problem was that reiserfs (heh, that's the second
time I almost wrote btrfs and caught it, hope I didn't miss any! =:^) had
a rather minor items repair mode, and an "I'm desperate, ends of the
earth and I don't care about the risk as anything is better than nothing"
mode, but not a lot of choice in between the two.  Additionally, now
looking at btrfs (a correct reference this time! =:^), the "desperate"
solution in btrfs is rather more fine-grained, including at least the
three above options plus one for the superblock, with an additional read-
only restore tool that can often restore most or all data to elsewhere,
in the case of a missed or not current backup, that reiserfs never had.

But AFAIK reiser4 (which I never actually tried as it never made
mainline, which in general I prefer to stick to, but I read about it)
improved on the reiserfs model in this regard as well -- indeed, it would
have been surprising if it didn't, since both reiser4 and btrfs had the
lessens of reiserfs to build upon.

And of course reiserfs might have gotten the same sort of tool changes
too, except for Hans Reiser's controversial policy of letting stable be
stable, and putting the improvements into reiser4, which of course was
intended to get into mainline in some reasonable time and thus wouldn't
have left reiserfs users so in the lurch as actually happened, because
reiser4 never did hit mainline due to $reasons, most/all of which I agree
with, or at least understand, where I don't entirely agree.

But anyway, for anyone with half a tech-oriented brain, it was very
evident that the required options were "desperate" level, and for people
without half a tech-oriented brain, the documentation clearly suggested
danger ahead, you should have backups if you're going to do this as it's
a risky process that could destroy chances of recovery instead of fixing
things, as well.

But of course so many don't read the docs, they just do it... and
sometimes they suffer the consequences when they do... and sometimes then
try to blame others for it.  <shrug>  That's the way of the world; not
something we're going to change.

Even the required actually spelled out "yes" confirmation, not just "y",
didn't stop people, either from doing it or for blaming reiserfs for
problems that were in fact mostly their own, when they went ahead anyway.