On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 8:12 AM, Nicholas D Steeves <nstee...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Chris, do you use compress=lzo?  SSDs or rotational disks?

No compression, SSD and HDD. The stuff I care about is on dmcrypt
(LUKS) for some time. Stuff I sorta care about on plain partitions.
Stuff I don't care much about are either on LVM LV's (usually thinp),
or qcow2.

I have used compression for periods measured in months not years, both
zlib and lzo, on both SSD and HDD, to no ill effect. But it's true
some of the more abrupt and worse damaged file systems did use
compress=lzo. Since lzo is faster and only a bit less better
compression than zlib, it may be more people choose lzo and that's why
it turns out if there's a problem with compression it happens to be
lzo, coincidence rather than causation. I'm not even sure there's
enough information to have correlation.

--
Chris Murphy