On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 4:01 PM, Dave T <davestechs...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I will be very disappointed if I cannot use btrfs + dm-crypt. As far
> as I can see, there is no alternative given that I need to use
> snapshots (and LVM, as good as it is, has severe performance penalties
> for its snapshots).

See LVM thin provisioning snapshots. I haven't benchmarked it, but
it's a night and day difference from conventional (thick) snapshots.
The gotchas are currently there's no raid support, and the snapshots
are whole volume. So each snapshot appears as a volume with the same
UUID as the original, and by default they're not active. So for me
it's a bit of a head scratcher what happens when mounting a snapshot
concurrent with another. For Btrfs this ends badly. For XFS it refuses
unless using nouuid, but still seems capable of writing to the two
volumes without causing problems.

But yes, I like Btrfs snapshots and refinks better. *shrug*

If you find a Btrfs on dmcrypt problem, it's a serious bug, and I
think it would get attention very quickly.

--
Chris Murphy