Jeff,

Thank you very much for explanations. Indeed it was not clear in the
documentation - I read it simply as "if you have snapshots enabled
nodatacow makes no difference"

I will rebuild the database in this mode from scratch and see how
performance changes.

So far the most frustating for me was periodic stalls for many seconds
 (running sysbench workload).  What was the most puzzling  I get this
even if I run workload at the  50% or less of the full load  -  Ie
database can handle 1000 transactions/sec and I only inject 500/sec
and I still have those stalls.

This is where it looks to me like some work is being delayed and when
it requires stall for a few seconds to catch up.    I wonder  if there
are some configuration options available to play with.

So far I found BTRFS rather  "zero configuration" which is great if it
works but it is also great to have more levers to pull if you're
having some troubles.

--
Peter Zaitsev, CEO, Percona
Tel: +1 888 401 3401 ext 7360   Skype:  peter_zaitsev