On 2017-04-08 01:12, Duncan wrote:
Austin S. Hemmelgarn posted on Fri, 07 Apr 2017 07:41:22 -0400 as
excerpted:

2. Results from 'btrfs scrub'.  This is somewhat tricky because scrub is
either asynchronous or blocks for a _long_ time.  The simplest option
I've found is to fire off an asynchronous scrub to run during down-time,
and then schedule recurring checks with 'btrfs scrub status'.  On the
plus side, 'btrfs scrub status' already returns non-zero if the scrub
found errors.

This is (one place) where my "keep it small enough to be in-practice-
manageable" comes in.

I always run my scrubs with -B (don't background, always, because I've
scripted it), and they normally come back within a minute. =:^)

But that's because I'm running multiple btrfs pair-device raid1 on a pair
of partitioned SSDs, with each independent btrfs built on a partition
from each ssd, with all partitions under 50 GiB.  So scrubs takes less
than a minute to run (on the under 1 GiB /var/log, it returns effectively
immediately, as soon as I hit enter on the command), but that's not
entirely surprising at the sizes of the ssd-based btrfs' I am running.

When scrubs (and balances, and checks) come back in a minute or so, it
makes maintenance /so/ much less of a hassle. =:^)

And the generally single-purpose and relatively small size of each
filesystem means I can, for instance, keep / (with all the system libs,
bins, manpages, and the installed-package database, among other things)
mounted read-only by default, and keep the updates partition (gentoo so
that's the gentoo and overlay trees, the sources and binpkg cache, ccache
cache, etc) and (large non-ssd/non-btrfs) media partitions unmounted by
default.

Which in turn means when something /does/ go wrong, as long as it wasn't
a physical device, there's much less data at risk, because most of it was
probably either unmounted, or mounted read-only.

Which in turn means I don't have to worry about scrub/check or other
repair on those filesystems at all, only the ones that were actually
mounted writable.  And as mentioned, those scrub and check fast enough
that I can literally wait at the terminal for command completion. =:^)

Of course my setup's what most would call partitioned to the extreme, but
it does have its advantages, and it works well for me, which after all is
the important thing for /my/ setup.
Eh, maybe most people who never dealt with disks with capacities on the order of triple-digit _megabytes_. TBH, most of my systems look pretty similar, although I split at places that most people think are odd until I explain the reasoning (like /var/cache or the RRD storage for collectd). With the exception of the backing storage for the storage micro-cluster I have on my home network and the VM storage, all my filesystems are 32GB or less (and usually some multiple of 8G), although I'm not lucky enough to have a good enough system to run maintenance that fast (although part of that might be that I don't heavily over-provision space in most of the filesystems, but instead leave a reasonable amount of slack-space at the LVM level, so if a filesystem gets wedged, I just temporarily resize the LV it's on so I can fix it).

But the more generic point remains, if you setup multi-TB filesystems
that take days or weeks for a maintenance command to complete, running
those maintenance commands isn't going to be something done as often as
one arguably should, and rebuilding from a filesystem or device failure
is going to take far longer than one would like, as well.  We've seen the
reports here.  If that's what you're doing, strongly consider breaking
your filesystems down to something rather more manageable, say a couple
TiB each.  Broken along natural usage lines, it can save a lot on the
caffeine and headache pills when something does go wrong.

Unless of course like one poster here, you're handling double-digit-TB
super-collider data files.  Those tend to be a bit difficult to store on
sub-double-digit-TB filesystems.  =:^)  But that's the other extreme from
what I've done here, and he actually has a good /reason/ for /his/
double-digit- or even triple-digit-TB filesystems.  There's not much to
be done about his use-case, and indeed, AFAIK he decided btrfs simply
isn't stable and mature enough for that use-case yet, tho I believe he's
using it for some other, more minor and less gargantuan use-cases.
Even aside from that, there are cases where you essentially need large filesystems. One good example is NAS usage. In that case, it's a lot simpler to provision one filesystem and then share out subsets of it than it is to provision one for each share. Clustering is another good example (the micro-cluster I mentioned above being a good example of this, by just using one filesystem for each back-end system, I end up saving a very large amount of resources without compromising performance (although, the 200GB back-end filesystems are nowhere near the multi-TB filesystems that are usually the issue).