Hi,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Peter Grandi <p...@btrfs.list.sabi.co.uk>
wrote:

> What the OP was doing was using "unreliable" both for the case
> where the device "lies" and the case where the device does not
> "lie" but reports a failure. Both of these are malfunctions in a
> wide sense:
>
>   * The [block] device "lies" as to its status or what it has done.
>   * The [block] device reports truthfully that an action has failed.

Thanks for making this point, it made me realize that I had different
assumption than what you use in your reasoning. I assumed that when
writes to a USB device fail due to a temporary disconnection, the
kernel can actually recognize that a write error happened. So are you
saying that a write error due to USB problems can go completely
unnoticed? That seems very strange to me; are USB drives really that
unreliable or is that some software limitation?

Thanks,

Zoltan