On Sun, Dec 17, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Peter Grandi <p...@btrfs.list.sabi.co.uk>
wrote:
> "Duncan"'s reply is slightly optimistic in parts, so some
> further information...

>> and it should detect a device coming back as a different
>> device too.
>
> That is disagreeable because of poor terminology: I guess that
> what was intended that it should be able to detect a previous
> member block-device becoming available again as a different
> device inode, which currently is very dangerous in some vital
> situations.

Duncan probably means if the device reappears with different
enumeration (was /dev/sdb1 but comes back as /dev/sde1), that Btrfs
can recover from this by using the Btrfs specific dev.uuid to
recognize the device. And also by knowing generation it in effect has
a virtual write intent bitmap to use to catch up that device for
missing commits, which is something that doesn't currently happen
automatically; it requires either a scrub or balance to catch up a
formerly missing device - a very big penalty because the whole array
has to be done to catch it up for what might be only a few minutes of
missing time.

--
Chris Murphy