On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 10:37 AM, Ellis H. Wilson III
<ell...@panasas.com> wrote:
> On 02/11/2018 01:24 PM, Hans van Kranenburg wrote:
>>
>> Why not just use `btrfs fi du <subvol> <snap1> <snap2>` now and then and
>> update your administration with the results? .. Instead of putting the
>> burden of keeping track of all administration during every tiny change
>> all day long?
>

> I will look into that if using built-in group capacity functionality proves
> to be truly untenable.  Thanks!
>
>>> CoW is still valuable for us as we're shooting to support on the order
>>> of hundreds of snapshots per subvolume,
>>

>> Hundreds will get you into trouble even without qgroups.
>

> I should have been more specific.  We are looking to use up to a few dozen
> snapshots per subvolume, but will have many (tens to hundreds of) discrete
> subvolumes (each with up to a few dozen snapshots) in a BTRFS filesystem.
> If I have it wrong and the scalability issues in BTRFS do not solely apply
> to subvolumes and their snapshot counts, please let me know.
>
> I will note you focused on my tiny desktop filesystem when making some of
> your previous comments -- this is why I didn't want to share specific
> details.  Our filesystem will be RAID0 with six large HDDs (12TB each).
> Reliability concerns do not apply to our situation for technical reasons,
> but if there are capacity scaling issues with BTRFS I should be made aware
> of, I'd be glad to hear them.  I have not seen any in technical
> documentation of such a limit, and experiments so far on 6x6TB arrays has
> not shown any performance problems, so I'm inclined to believe the only
> scaling issue exists with reflinks.  Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Thanks,
>
> ellis
>
> --

When testing btrfs on large volumes, especially with metadata heavy
operations, I'd suggest you match the node size of your mkfs.btrfs
(-n) with the stripe size used in creating your RAID array. Also, use
the ssd_spread mount option as discussed in a previous thread. It make
a big difference on arrays. It allocates much more space for metadata,
but it greatly reduces fragmentation over time.