On Fri, Apr 09, 2021 at 08:08:00AM +0800, Wang Yugui wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > kernel: at least 5.10.26/5.10.27/5.10.28
> > >
> > > This problem is triggered by our application, NOT xfstests.
> > > But our applicaiton have some heavy write load just like
> > > xfstest/generic/476.
> > > Our application use at most 75% of memory, if still not enough,
> > > it will write out all buffer info to filesystem.
> >
> > Do you use cgroups at all? If yes can you describe the workload pattern
> > a bit.
>
> cgroups is enabled defaultly, so cgroups is used.
>
> This is the output of systemd-cgls, ''samtools.nipt sort -m 60G" is one
> of our application.  but our application is NOT cgroups-aware, and it NOT
> call any cgroup interface directly.
>
> Control group /:
> -.slice
> ├─user.slice
> │ └─user-0.slice
> │   ├─session-55.scope
> │   │ ├─48747 sshd: root [priv]
> │   │ ├─48788 sshd: root@notty
> │   │ ├─48795 perl -e
> @GNU_Parallel=split/_/,"use_IPC::Open3;_use_MIME::Base6...
> │   │ ├─48943 samtools.nipt sort -m 60G -T
> /nodetmp//nfs/biowrk/baseline.wgs2...
> │   │ ├─....
> │   └─user@0.service
> │     └─init.scope
> │       ├─48775 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --user
> │       └─48781 (sd-pam)
> ├─init.scope
> │ └─1 /usr/lib/systemd/systemd --switched-root --system --deserialize 18
> └─system.slice
>   ├─rngd.service
>   │ └─1577 /sbin/rngd -f --fill-watermark=0
>   ├─irqbalance.service
>   │ └─1543 /usr/sbin/irqbalance --foreground
>

> > > This problem is happen in linux kernel 5.10.x, but not happen in linux
> > > kernel 5.4.x. It have high frequency to repduce too.
> >
> > Ah. Can you try the following patch?
> > https://lore.kernel.org/lkml/20210408035736.883861-4-g...@fb.com/
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Dennis
>
> kernel: kernel 5.10.28+this patch
> result: yet not happen after 4 times test.
>           without this path, the reproduce frequency is >50%
>
> And a question about this,
> >
> > The issue is here. nofs is set which means percpu attempts an atomic
> > allocation. If it cannot find anything already allocated it isn't happy.
> > This was done before memalloc_nofs_{save/restore}() were pervasive.
> >
> > Percpu should probably try to allocate some pages if possible even if
> > nofs is set.
>
> Should we check and pre-alloc memory inside memalloc_nofs_restore()?
> another memalloc_nofs_save() may come soon.
>
> something like this in memalloc_nofs_save()?
>       if (pcpu_nr_empty_pop_pages[type] < PCPU_EMPTY_POP_PAGES_LOW)
>               pcpu_schedule_balance_work();

Percpu does do this via a workqueue item. The issue is in v5.9 we
introduced 2 types of chunks. However, the free float page number was
for the total. So even if 1 chunk type dropped below, the other chunk
type might have enough pages. I'm queuing this for 5.12 and will send it
out assuming it does fix your problem.

> by the way, this problem still happen in kernel 5.10.28+this patch.
> Is this is a PANIC without OOPS?  any guide for troubleshooting please.

Sorry I don't follow. Above you said the problem hasn't reproed. But now
you're saying it does? Does your issue still reproduce with the patch
above?

> > problem:
> > OS/VGA console is freezed , and no call trace is outputed.
> > Just some info is outputed to IPMI/dell iDRAC
> >    2 | 04/03/2021 | 11:35:01 | OS Critical Stop #0x46 | Run-time critical
> > stop () | Asserted
> >    3 | Linux kernel panic: Fatal excep
> >    4 | Linux kernel panic: tion
>
> Best Regards