On Wed, Apr 14, 2021 at 12:22 PM Johannes Thumshirn
<johannes.thumsh...@wdc.com> wrote:

> On 14/04/2021 13:17, Filipe Manana wrote:
> > Yep, that's what puzzled me, why the need to do it for non-zoned file
> > systems when using -o discard=sync.
> > I assumed you ran into a case where discard was not happening due to
> > some bug bug in the extent pinning/unpinning mechanism.
> >
> >> So the correct fix would
> >> be to get the block group into the 'trans->transaction->deleted_bgs' list
> >> after relocation, which would work if we wouldn't check for
> >> block_group->ro in
> >> btrfs_delete_unused_bgs(), but I suppose this check is there for a reason.
> >
> > Actually the check for ->ro does not make sense anymore since I
> > introduced the delete_unused_bgs_mutex in commit
> > 67c5e7d464bc466471b05e027abe8a6b29687ebd.
> >
> > When the ->ro check was added
> > (47ab2a6c689913db23ccae38349714edf8365e0a), it was meant to prevent
> > the cleaner kthread and relocation tasks from calling
> > btrfs_remove_chunk() concurrently, but checking for ->ro only was
> > buggy, hence the addition of delete_unused_bgs_mutex later.
> >

> I'll have a look at these commits.
>

> >> How about changing the patch to the following:
> >
> > Looks good.
> > However would just removing the ->ro check by enough as well?
>
> From how I understand the code, yes. It's a quick test, so let's just do it
> and see what breaks.

The thing most worth checking is if concurrent scrubs can cause any
issue with deletion of unused block groups.
I think they won't, but there were races in the past I remember fixing.

Several test cases from btrfs/060 to btrfs/074 exercise scrub running
with fsstress, balance, etc.
They are a good way to stress test this code.

--
Filipe David Manana,

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't — you're right.”