As u havent included any example I would suppose the situation is as
follows:

///////////////////////
int global;

void do_change(int x, int y)
{
  x = y;
  return;
}

int main()
{
do_change(global,100);
/* oops global is still unchanged = 0 */

}
/////////////////////////////

Am I right? If so just change do_change to

void do_change(int* x, int y)
{
  *x = y;
  return;
}

and call it with

do_change(&global,100);

...in the first example parameter X is passed by value (i.e. your function
works with a local copy of the actual object) so the global variable is
still unchanged after the execution

Regards,

    Marin